The holidays are just around the corner. While most people look forward to spending time with family and celebrating life, others worry about handling stress and sobriety and staying committed to their recovery. People on a sober path don’t have to skip out on all the fun during the holidays. Aftercare programs are an excellent resource for individuals who struggle to maintain their sobriety during the holidays and other stressful times in their lives.
Attain Behavioral Health welcomes individuals from all walks of life who are struggling with an addiction to alcohol, cocaine, or other substances. Our outpatient programs use behavioral therapies and medical support to create a more effective recovery experience. Patients will work with a certified therapist in group and private therapy sessions to learn new coping skills to maintain lifelong sobriety. For more information about our addiction aftercare programs in Ohio, call 888.442.2323 today to start a conversation about your recovery.
Handling Stress and Sobriety During the Holidays
The holidays can be a stressful time for a lot of people. Shopping, planning, and dealing with out-of-town relatives can push you over the edge and cause a relapse if you are not careful. If you are planning a big holiday event with your family, there are plenty of ways that you can keep stress levels from ramping up and increasing the risk of relapse.
Individuals who are living with addiction know all too well how dangerous the holidays can be to their sobriety. An addiction aftercare program continues to provide beneficial support for those who want to work with a therapist during stressful times. This program is for individuals who complete an addiction recovery program and want to continue talking with a therapist and peers. Some of what you can expect includes the following:
- One-on-one discussion with your therapist
- Group therapy activities like role-playing games and discussions with your peers
- Practicing coping and communication skills
- Have a safe place to vent frustrations and prevent relapsing
Participating in an aftercare program is the safest way to maintain your sober lifestyle and continue to improve your overall mental health. Attain Behavioral Health is a fully accredited outpatient treatment program that provides compassionate support for Ohioans who need continual support during their recovery journey. Programs are tailored to the individual and include a mix of behavioral and holistic therapies and medication-assisted treatment to create a whole-person recovery program.
Tips for Having a Sober Holiday
In addition to working with a professional therapist over the holidays, there are several ways that you can have a sober holiday without experiencing high levels of stress. Stress and sobriety are inevitably linked. If you don’t plan ahead of time, it can increase stress levels and cause cravings for substances to return.
Here are some helpful tips for having a sober holiday:
- Continue talking with a therapist – Participating in therapy sessions is one of the best ways to develop new coping skills and fine-tune old ones. Aftercare programs allow patients to continue working on their sober journey while living at home and keeping up with work and personal responsibilities.
- Daily meditation – Meditation is an excellent way to stay mentally healthy and resist future cravings when they pop up. A simple 30-minute daily meditation can mentally prepare you for any potential stress and give you the confidence to handle any situation. If you feel stress increasing suddenly, a quick meditative technique like deep breathing exercises can slow your heart rate and allow you to think clearly.
- Learn to say no – One of the fastest ways to increase the risk of relapse is by taking on too much. It would be best to accept that you can’t do everything for everyone and that it is OK to say no. Learn to rely on others and ask for help planning your holiday event.
- Spend time outdoors – Spending time outdoors is a great way to relax and unwind. Sunlight is a natural source of Vitamin D and essential for maintaining optimal health. Vitamin D deficiency symptoms include an increase in depressive thoughts, fatigue, muscle pain, and a host of other negative symptoms.
These are just a few tips for handling stress and sobriety during the holidays and throughout the year. Having a sober holiday is easy to do when you plan and have a game plan for handling increases in stress.
Find Addiction Aftercare Programs in Ohio at Attain Behavioral Health
Attain Behavioral Health’s aftercare programs can help those worried about staying sober during the holidays. Our therapists work closely with each patient to identify the underlying cause behind the abuse and teach them new ways of managing their symptoms and triggers.
To learn new ways to handle stress and sobriety during the holidays, contact our compassionate team today at 888.442.2323 to discuss your recovery journey.